Tuesday, February 15, 2011

El Salvadoran Papusas

I made these the other night for dinner, super easy to make. You can stuff with what ever you want, cheese, beans, beef, chicken, pork...I made a pulled pork in my crockpot, and used that along with some cotija  cheese and some mozzarella.




First you use your masa flour and water to make your dough for your tortilla. I just follow directions on the package. Then you get a small ball, about the size of a lemon or a small apple, make an indentation in the center, this is where you will place your filling.



Now add your filling in the center. It does not take much filling, it all depends on the size of the papusa you are making.






Now you pull up or pinch up some of the masa from the sides to cover the filling completely. You want for there to be no holes.


Now you just pat it out into a round disc like shape, trying not to expose the filling in the center. It is hard to tell in this picture, but the center of course is going to be thicker because there is more filling in the middle. I would say try to get the rest of it about 1/4in or less in thickness. I then placed mine on wax paper or parchment, until ready to cook.






Finally, you just fry up in a hot, dry skillet or cast iron pan. No oil is needed. It only takes about 3 min per side, just till they don't feel doughy anymore and start to get some browning.

Traditionally these are served with an El Salvadoran coleslaw, which is cabbage, vinegar, red pepper flakes, and oregano. I tried this, not my favorite. I prefer just a simple coleslaw or beans or rice on the side.

No comments:

Post a Comment